Tuesday, July 24, 2012

If you come, we will tour.


We have been providing first-class guided tours to some of our friends and relatives. During July we were visited by one of our sons, Joel, his wife, and one-third of our grandchildren, including one that we saw for the very first time. We also hosted my brother, wee Ümlaüt, his wife and 1/17th of our nieces and nephews, as well as our good friends from Timber Lakes, Gary and Frances Hume. We have enjoyed, immensely, the opportunities we have had to get a little taste o’ home, wrapped around some breath-taking scenery and a lot of potatoes.

Fortunately for our guided tour business (Elder & Sister Blick’s Quick Norn Iron Trips – Norn Iron being the correct pronunciation of Northern Ireland), the Church here goes on holiday during July. Actually, the Church members go on holiday. Sunday meetings are still held, but no stake meetings are scheduled and the YSA Centre goes on a reduced schedule. We teach institute but take a break from most of the other scheduled events and activities.

In any case, we were not derelict in our duties to take time to assist our friends and family in falling in love with this beautiful country, it’s culture and people. I have also become somewhat of an expert in the history of all things Northern Irish. That is to say, I have an answer for any question from our clientele. On whether or not it is accurate, I am unwilling to speculate. (I don’t speculate; I opine. There is an important distinction. Speculation is a guess, based on incomplete information. On the other hand, if there is anything in this world, upon which I am considered an expert, it is my own opinion. Or in other words, no one, including my cousin, Rob Adams, who is the smartest man I know, is more of an expert than me on what my opinion is.) You get what you pay for and our services are generally gratis. (For those of you that graduated from San Juan High School, that means free of charge.)

We enjoyed every single minute of every single tour and enjoyed even more every single conversation we had along the way with people we love.

Here then, is a pictorial summary of a good time being had by all.

Bootleg photograph shot from the hip in the coolest library I have been in. 
Photographer unknown.

Entrance to Slane Castle, where U2 and Celtic Woman performed (on different nights).

The Companion and I preparing to stock up on provisions.

A beautiful day in the log cabin section of Northern Ireland.

A tribute to me wee companion. 

Gary's first step is a big one.

All this rain makes for very large pine cones!

Belfast City Hall in a very rare photograph featuring a wee bit o' blue sky.

An even rarer sight: A whole herd of Blickenstaffs in the Dark Hedges.

Is this a beautiful country or what?!

My brother (the surgeon) and I counting our blessings.

Come see us; we will tour.

Elder Blickenstaff

1 comment:

  1. Dude! That is a cool library! And, Elder and Sister Blickenstaff look a lot like Gary and Frances.

    ReplyDelete