Monday, September 17, 2012

It's Not About Me


Reading my companion’s last post, I am reminded of a line from KISS, “These are crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy nights.” Ha ha. I bet that Curtis Mahon had no idea I even knew who KISS are, let alone be able to quote from their 1987 hit that reached #4 in the UK.

But enough about them; this blog is about me.

It has been more than a month since I have posted and I am reminded of something Paul Scharman said to me years ago in Texas. We held stake conference and my job during one session was to run the control that raised or lowered the pulpit. I had no speaking assignment. At the conclusion of that session, Brother Scharman came up to me, shook my hand, and said, “President, I do not know when I have enjoyed listening to you more than tonight.”

Ha ha. I like him and I liked his backhanded compliment that I was more enjoyable when I was quiet.

But enough about him; this blog is about me.

Our oldest son and daughter-in-law visited us this month. We enjoyed the familiar faces, the sweet stories from home and the comforting memories we created with them. The weather was fantastic, the food was incredible, the scenery was magnificent and the people we met along the way were amazing.

But enough about them; this blog is about me.

Tonight we have a meeting with two members of our stake presidency and an Area Seventy from Scotland. We are shadow leaders for the Young Single Adult Presidency here who are planning to host an International YSA Conference in November. When that is over we will be able to go back to having fun instead of freaking out.

But enough about them; this blog is about me.

Ha ha. I am just winding you up. This blog is not about me; it’s all about them. A mission, just like any other call in the Church, is never about me; it’s always about someone else. That’s why we are having so much fun.

Elder & Sister Blickenstaff
Belfast Northern Ireland Stake Young Single Adult Programme
Mentors of Champions

My companion and I with C.S. Lewis (who is from Belfast), checking out the wardrobe

Showing my thinning hair to the camera while hiding it from Jeremy

Jeremy & Chrissy enjoying the countryside

I have skills

Friends and family

We never get tired of this scene - it looks different every time we visit

Everybody looks brilliant in a castle 

One of our beloved YSA showing her love

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see some pics of Jer and Chrissy enjoying the emerald isle. Even if it's about them, it's always about me too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet blog my friend. This is an example of why I will always look up to you and why you are one of my role models. And yes, you are more enjoyable when silent. Ken MacDonald was right when he dubbed you 'General of the Neighborhood'.

    ReplyDelete